Thursday

best BLT ever



A BLT (Bacon, Lettuce and Tomato) is a popular sandwich in the US and UK. The traditional BLT is made with only five ingredients, bacon, lettuce, tomato, bread and mayonnaise. That's really all you need. But if you ask me what makes my BLT the best? Well read on. 


I won't dispute that Summer is the best time of the year to have a BLT because you can get lettuce and fresh juicy tomatoes from your farmer's market. But if you want a quick and easy meal, BLT might be your choice, because you can usually find lettuce and tomatoes in the market any time of the year. 


Now the bread. Well this makes a big difference. Please don't just use white bread. Nowadays there is a wide variety of fantastic breads anywhere. I am lucky to have a Gran Central Bakery and a French Boulangerie very close to my house so that's where I get my breads. My favorite is the multigrain whole wheat loaf from Gran Central Bakery. The Como Italian bread is my second favorite from Gran Central. From the St. HonorƩ Boulangerie I prefer the cereal loaf.


If you want your BLT to be more nutritious, besides using whole wheat bread, add avocados or fried eggs. Have some fruit or veggies on the side. Ok now you are looking at my picture above and thinking, WTH she is having potatoes chips with her BLT. Well, let me do some blame storming. Oh, this is my husband's fault. I would have chosen baby carrots only for crispness, but he just couldn't help it and neither could I.


According to John Mariani, a food historian, BLT is the second most popular sandwich in the US, after the ham sandwich.

what you need:
  • 2 slices of multigrain bread
  • 3 to 4 slices of bacon
  • iceberg lettuce leaves to your taste
  • 1/2 large beefsteak tomato, sliced usually 4 slices
  • 1 tablespoon mayonnaise
Optional

- 1/2 avocado sliced
- 5 to 6 basil leaves
- sliced jalapeƱo 
- some fruit and veggies as sides


what to do:



Fry the bacon. 
Use a pan big enough to fry the slices without overlapping them, preferably having the slices lay flat on the pan. 
Place the pan over medium heat and let the pan heat with the bacon in it.
Fry for about 6 minutes and turn the bacon. Keep turning it until it's crisp but not too browned. 


Set on paper towel and fry the rest if you have more.
Cut the tomatoes in slices of about 1/4 inch thick.
Cut the bottom of the lettuce.
Rinse and shake the lettuce leaves.
Prepare your avocado slices.


Now you have all you need to assemble the sandwich.


Assembling your sandwich



















Spread mayonnaise on both slices of bread.
Place lettuce on one slice of toast. 
Top with 2 or 3 slices of tomato.
Add the avocado.
Add 3 or 4 slices of bacon.
Place the top slice of bread on the sandwich.
Bon AppĆ©tit! 


updated 2020