Monday

caramelized brussels sprouts with pine nuts

Caramelized Brussels Sprouts with Pine Nuts

This is the best Brussels sprouts recipe you'll ever taste. I promise. It's not because I've tried a million recipes and nothing worked and I had to come up with one by myself, but it has been approved by my husband, my daughter and my son. It's not the healthiest recipe but who eats Brussels sprouts every day anyway?



This recipe was actually a dare from my husband. He is not a Brussels sprout enthusiast. He dared me to cook Brussels sprouts in a way that he would actually like them.

I struggled with this recipe for over a month and I was getting pretty upset and obsessed over the perfect recipe.  One day on his way home from work my husband called me from the market and asked me if I needed anything. I said, "Bring me some stupid Brussels sprouts". After eating them my husband said, "Those Brussels sprouts seem to be smarter than the others you've tried, they are delicious
." Finally!

Health Benefits - Brussel sprouts like broccoli and kale contain vitamins A and C, folic acid, fiber and sinigrin, a substance believed to prevent colon cancer. They also have other good stuff but this is enough info to make you want to eat Brussel sprouts, right? 


Don't overcook - if you overcook Brussels sprouts besides killing all the good nutrients they will turn greyish and develop a sour flavor. Boiling also eliminates all the good stuff in them.


What You Need:



  • 1/2 pound Brussels sprouts (you can buy them in a bag at Trader Joe's)
  • 1 tablespoon butter
  • 1 tablespoon olive oil
  • 2 tablespoons pine nuts
  • 1 tablespoon brown sugar 
Optional: 1 teaspoon garlic powder

Serve 3 - 4

What To Do:


Wash the Brussels sprouts with plenty of water.

Dry them with paper towel.

<-- OMG look at this water stream; this was accidental but I like it. Looks like a worm from outer space.






Trim the ends of the Brussels sprouts and cut them in half lengthwise. Discard the outer loose leaves.
Be patient when you cut the sprouts but don't hurry too much.






Put the oil and the butter in a large skillet over medium heat until the butter bubbles.










Add the Brussels sprouts, pine nuts and season with salt and pepper.










Reduce heat to medium low and let it cook for about 12 minutes. Stir frequently. The Brussel sprouts will brown a little.







After 10 minutes try one of the biggest sprouts to see if it's cooked to your liking.







Sprinkle the brown sugar on the sprouts and add the garlic powder if using it.






Turn the heat back to medium and stir for about 1 to 2 minutes. The sugar will melt and add some golden brown color to the sprouts. Careful not to burn the sugar. It's easier if you use a light bottom pan.
Before serving taste to see if you need more salt and pepper.


Brussels Sprouts with pine nuts and Beef Teriyaki.





Bon AppƩtit!