Saturday

egyptian red lentil soup / Shorbaat Aads


I love this soup and it is so so easy to make. I learned this recipe while I lived in Egypt and I adapted it to my palate. My recipe does not have cumin neither turmeric, which are common spices in Egyptian cuisine. If you like them then go ahead and add them. The most important thing is to follow you palate.
There are many versions of this soup. This is a very simple one. The way my kids like it.


FYI: shorbaat means soup and aads means lentils in Arabic.

what you need:
  • 2 cups red lentils
  • 2 cups chopped carrots (I used baby carrots so I did not need to chop, lazy me)
  • 2 cups chopped onion
  • 4 tomatoes chopped (I used canned tomatoes)
  • 4 cloves of garlic chopped
  • 1 cube chicken stock (OR about 4 cups chicken broth)
  • salt and pepper to taste
Serve 6

what to do:




Gather your ingredients. I did half the recipe and that's what you see in the picture.








Wash lentils.







Put everything in a large pan.







Add water to cover everything. 
(I added more after I took this picture)







Let it boil.
Reduce heat to low.






Stir the pan to make sure the lentils are not stuck to the bottom of the pan.






Let it cook in low heat for 25 minutes. Stir occasionally. 
Make sure there is always enough water to cook the vegetables and that the lentils are not sticking to the bottom of the pan.
If you need to add water, add boiling water.






Blend the soup in batches or use an immersion blender.







The soup will be smooth but also thick.








If you prefer crunchy soups then use a potato masher instead of a blender.

Bon AppƩtit!