Tuesday

Yam Puree


Yam Puree goes well in any meat.
I like my puree with lots of onions so I always put more than any recipe calls for. But this is a personal choice of course. I also like to use full cream milk instead of heavy cream. I think the puree turns out lighter and you can easily put more milk if the puree is too thick.



What You Need:

  • 2 lb. yams
  • 1 cup finely chopped onions
  • 1 cup milk or heavy cream or even yogurt
  • 2 tablespoons butter
  • salt to taste

Optional: Add fresh chopped chives.

What To Do:



Peel and cut yams in small cubes. After peeling them I cut the yams horizontally in thick slices. Then I cut each slice in 9 or more pieces like you see in the picture.



Place cut yams in a pan with enough water to cover them for over 1 inch. Add salt.
Let the water boil then reduce heat and let the yams cook for about 12 minutes or until they are tender.





Drain and leave in the colander for about 10 minutes.







Melt the butter.







Add the onion and saute until the onions are transparent.







Add the yams.







Add the milk.






Mash with a potato masher.
Taste and add more salt if necessary.







and it's ready!