Today I will take you on a trip down guilt lane and you will love me forever. I'm giving you the recipe for the best Hot Chocolate on the face of the earth. This is not an exaggeration. Belgian Hot Chocolate is the King of comfort food. It's fabulous, luscious, delicious, decadent, sexy and you only need three ingredients, milk, heavy cream and good quality chocolate.
If you've never had Belgian Hot Chocolate you have to swear you will try this recipe. It will change your life. Give a cup of this hot chocolate to your husband and he will fall in love with you all over again. Give it to your boyfriend and he will ask your hand in marriage. And you, college kids, listen to me: only make Belgian Hot Chocolate to someone you really like or you will risk having serious stalkers following you for rest of your lives.
Belgian Hot Chocolate recipes are no secret. Europeans have been drinking it for ages and there are lots of variations. I listed as many as I could below. Obviously I think my recipe is the best.
Now you'll ask me, "What's healthy about this Belgian Hot Chocolate? Arent' you supposed to give easy and healthy recipes?" Well, everybody knows dark chocolate is good for you. Milk is good as well. But the healthier part of it is the 'love' my dear. You will inspire love and this is the best thing for anybody's health. Minimally you'll get hugs and with that loads of endorphins will be released in your system. You know ... endorphins ... the magic chemicals that make you happy :)
You're welcome ;)
What You Need:
Ingredients for 1 cup - adjust the recipe for more servings as you wish!!!
- 150 ml full cream milk
- 100 ml heavy cream
- 1 oz milk chocolate
- 2 oz dark chocolate
- 1/16 teaspoon salt, which is 'a pinch'
My lovely Finnish friends can use Fazer chocolate of course, and remember there is a Neuhaus store in Helsinki.
FYI: Many chocolate houses add a pinch of sea salt to the hot chocolate to mellow the chocolate. A pinch is an amount that can fit between your thumb and your forefinger but I like to be precise so a pinch is 1/16 teaspoon.
I suggest you try them ALL !
I suggest you try them ALL !
- use only half and half instead of milk and heavy cream
- use only dark chocolate
- use different proportions of dark and milk chocolate
- add 1/4 (or less) teaspoon ground cinnamon
- use a cinnamon stick to stir
- for a nutty flavor use almond milk
- for a fruity flavor add orange rinds
- for some heat add a pinch of chilli pepper
- for a sharp flavor substitute 30 ml of the milk for strong coffee
- for a kick substitute 30 ml of the milk for liqueur or cognac
- for an exotic flavor substitute the heavy cream for coconut milk
- for more exotic flavor use the coconut milk as suggested above AND add a pinch of dry ginger, pinch of cayenne pepper and pinch of paprika
Chop the chocolate in small pieces
Put the milk and heavy cream in a pan over medium heat. When you see bubbles on the side turn off the heat ...
... add the chocolate.
Whisk until the chocolate has dissolved completely.
Now change your life forever!