Tuesday

Beef Stew à la Alice


If there is someone who truly inspires me in the kitchen is my sister Alice. But it wasn't always like that. Actually I used to feel intimidated by her as anything she touches in the kitchen becomes a piece of heaven and anything I 'touched' (notice this is in the past) used to turn into coal or a bad science experiment.  



This is one of my sister's recipes. It's very easy to make, really fool proof and delicious. The kind of recipe I like. And the kind my son likes too as it does not require peeling and chopping onions or garlic. Enjoy!

Serves 4


What You Need:
  • 1 lb beef stew cut in thin strips - no need to season (OK Felipe I know you will say, "But why do I need to cut more?" So don't. Use it as it comes from the market or butcher)
  • 1 packet onion soup
  • 1 dark ale beer 12 oz
  • 1 teaspoon brown sugar (regular sugar will work too but brown is better)
  • 3 carrots sliced - about 1 1/4 cups (or baby carrots - or buy shredded carrots Felipe then you don't need to peel of cut anything)
  • 1 can (15oz) tomato sauce
  • 1 small can (4 oz) canned mushrooms drained
  • salt and pepper to taste (usually 1 teaspoon salt and 1/2 teaspoon pepper)
FYI:
In Brazil my sister makes this dish with matlzbier, a German type beer that is dark and sweet. In the US I was not able to find any maltzbier so the substitute I use is a dark ale. My sister told me to add a teaspoon of  brown sugar as the dark Ale is not as sweet as the maltzbier. 

Aparently the US does not brew or import beers that are the maltzbier type.
You can read about Maltzbier at the German Beer Portal for North America.

What To Do:






Gather the ingredients.







Put 'everything' in the pan, mix and turn the heat to high.







Mix occasionally ...








... until it boils.





Reduce heat to low, put the lid on and let it simmer for 40 to 45 minutes stirring occasionally. 
Cooking time will actually depend if the meat is already tender and if the sauce is thick to your liking.





That's it!
Now taste it and put salt and pepper as you wish.
And enjoy this delicious meal.





Serve it with rice and your favorite green, steamed preferably.






With broccoli,







green beans,







or asparagus and Hollandaise Sauce.